Search The Editor's Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On The Style Tip: Purple Lipstick—Fashion Do Or Fashion Don't?



Written By: Nani Hapa—I for one had too many fashion disasters from the 90s, and at the top of my list of fashion regrets is purle lipstick. I swore I would rue the day that black women started wearing purple lipstick again, but this Fall I've started reconsidering my stance against purple lipstick. Celebrities and stylists everywhere are embracing it, and not just for goth inspired looks. Done the right way, it can make for a dramatic and sophisticated look. What do you think, is purple lipstick a fashion do or a fashion don't? Let me know in your comments!

(Photo Credits: ⓒ Iconogenic/iStockphoto) (Model Used Solely For Illustrative Purposes)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purple lipstick is a big no no in my book. For every day, no thank you, It's just too much. I'd rather wear something more subtle. The model looks very glam, and to each their own, just not for me!

Unknown said...

You have to wear it. Do not let it wear you. Just like anything you wear, you have to sell it. Make people wish they have what you have. Life is too short to put limits on ourselves...........wear it and make us want it......

Eva the D'Eva

Jacqee said...

Nani, have you seen the November cover of MIMI? Sandra Nyanchoka is wearing purple lipstick and rocking that ish like there is no tomorrow! I agree with Evalyn, you have to wear it, do not let it wear you.

:)

honeybfly said...

I'd rock purple lipstick, but I'd also want to keep the rest of my face pretty fresh, except for maybe a smokey eye for night time. I just wouldn't do too much because then it looks very goth.

Mimi reader said...

I love how purple lipstick looks on dark-skinned girls. I'm glad it's coming back in style maybe I can finally get the perfect shade.

Anonymous said...

That black woman with short hair you posted pulls it off perfectly, with added matching nailpolish is a well put together look.