Interviewed By: Staff Writer ))
1. The Best Of Curtis Mayfield. One of my all time favorite singer-songwriters; he was so ahead of his time. Love his conscious lyrics, which you can relate to even today. Pure genius in my opinion.
2. Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life. Classic album from an amazing singer-songwriter. Anybody that loves and appreciates soul music must have this album in their collection. He's been a great influence to alot of artists which is testament to his greatness
3. D'Angelo's Brown Sugar. A classic groundbreaking soul album of the nineties. He changed the trend for contemporary R&B music and opened a lot of doors for the new breed of soul artists in the nineties.
4. The Best of Aretha Franklin. She's my all time favourite female singer—my inspiration. The fact that she's still around making music today is evidence of her lasting quality.
5. I couldn't pick anyone specific for my final selection as I'm an admirer of great female singer-wongwriters. Erykah Badu's "Baduism," Jill Scott's "Who Is Jill Scott" and Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" are my favorite modern soul albums from females who are unique and have something interesting and different to say and they do it with style.
. . .
The article My All Time Favorite Albums—Hilary Mwelwa was initially published in MIMI's September 2006 issue titled New Beginnings. To read past issues of MIMI, visit our archives at www.mimimagazine.com/archives.
You may also like these articles from MIMI Magazine: (( 1 )) Baloji: The Hip-Hop Maestro, (( 2 )) Soul Music By Meklit Hadero, (( 3 )) Alache's All Time Favorite Albums.
(( Photo Credits: Hil Street Soul ))