Search The Editor's Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

He(ART) And Soul: Njideka Akunyili



((  Written By: Staff Writer  ))  Nigerian born, Yale University School of Art graduate Njideka Akunyili is fast becoming the darling of the art world, in no small part due to her intimate collage paintings of scenes all too familiar.  She says about her work, "I use my art as a way to negotiate my seemingly contradictory loyalties to both my cherished Nigerian culture that is currently eroding and to my white American husband."

Notably, her artwork has generated many discussions based on its portrayal of interracial love.  In addressing the role that Nigerian and Western values has played in her art, Njideka says:  "I feel dismayed by Nigerians' unquestioningly valuing anything Western as superior however, my awareness of this problem does not exempt me from it—indeed, I question whether this mentality played a part in my falling in love with my husband.  My art serves as a vehicle through which I explore my conflicted allegiance to two separate cultures."  For more from Njideka, visit njidekaakunyili.com.

((  Photo Credits:  Njideka Akunyili  ))

0 comments: