Search The Editor's Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sunday's Child: Sunday Omony



Written By: MIM!Sunday Omony was born in the war-torn region of northern Uganda. When she was six years old, her family migrated to Canada. Despite being miles away from her home country, Sunday has remained connected—to name a few of her volunteer efforts: she continues to partner with organizations promoting peace and human rights, and she is involved with GuluWalk, a campaign that supports war affected youth in northern Uganda. A firm believer in giving back, in 2004, she founded a non-profit organization called Immigrant Youth Empowerment Society. We caught up with the model (and hilarious comedian) to find out more about Sunday's child.

1. I am ... a plus size model and humanitarian.

2. My connection to Africa is ... that I was born in Kitgum, Uganda. I continue to learn and celebrate my African culture.

3. My dream is ... to build a school/recreation center for children in my village. I hope to become a Goodwill Ambassador for the UNHCR and much more.

4. I am inspired by ... my parents, elders and people who have overcome hardship that are then able to share their vision, determination and courage to inspire others.

5. I love ... God, family, friends, traveling, dancing, culture, comedy, music, good food, volunteering, nature and art.

6. Most people would be surprised to know that ... deep down I'm a shy girl.

7. To me being an African woman means ... that I am a daughter of the motherland. Being a woman of faith, integrity, courage and embracing my African heritage.

9. One of the best pieces of advice's that I have received is ... “Learn to say no.” (Mom & Dad) and “Always dream BIG and surround yourself with positive people.” (Kamel and Pierre Du Lat).

Get to learn more about Sunday by visiting her official website: www.SundayOmony.com or her FaceBook page: www.facebook.com/TheRealSunday, and if you would like to be in MIMI, find out how here, Be In MIMI.

0 comments: